The teaching of medicine and pharmacy in Lublin can be connected with the opening of Maria Curie-Skłodowska University (UMCS) in 1944. Both faculties were educating young people at UMCS for over 5 years until they were separated to form Medical University in 1950. Today our University is proud to bear the name of its first Rector, a surgeon, professor Feliks Skubiszewski and is run by a nephrologist, professor Andrzej Książek, the eleventh Rector of the University.
In 1972 a Faculty of Nursing was created to be followed by Division of Dentistry at the Medical Faculty in 1973. Medical Analytics Division of Faculty of Phramacy was formed in 1995, English Language Division of Medical Faculty in 2001.
The Medical University of Lublin educated 14 thousand physicians (including over 100 graduates of the Englisha Language Division), 2.5 thousand dentists, 6.5 thousand pharmacists and 5 thousand nurses.
The University employs about one thousand people, including almost 100 professors, almost 90 habilitated doctors, and almost 700 Ph.Ds. There are 125 sites within the University chairs, departments and clinics.