Karol Adamiecki University of Economics -
then the College of Social and Economic Sciences - was opened to
students on January 11, 1937 when first lectures at the Faculty of
Industrial Organisation took place. The first Rector of the University
was Dr. Józef Lisak. Not long after the foundation of the University,
the World War II began and the school was closed between September 1939
and February 1945.
After the war,
the number of students increased very quickly and the University
authorities decided to move both the academic and administrative
sections from the Śląskie Techniczne Zakłady Naukowe (Silesian School of
Technology) buildings to the old city hall in Katowice-Zawodzie
(Rector's Office) and Building A at Bogucicka street. The academic year
1946/1947 was inaugurated in the new buildings.
In 1950 the Polish government decided to standardize
economic education in the whole country. At that time, the name of the
University was changed to State College of Economic Administration. In
1972, to mark its 35th anniversary, the University was given the name of
Karol Adamiecki and two years later the school gained its present name.
Latest changes include modernization of the old
buildings, as well as the opening of new didactic-accommodation
facilities. The organization of the University has also undergone some
changes related to the growing number of faculties and specializations,
such as the foundation of the Faculty of Finance and Insurance in 2002
and the Faculty of Informatics and Communication in 2009.