The history of the Warsaw School of Economics (SGH) begins in 1906
with the foundation of the Private Courses of Commerce for Men.
In the XX century the School underwent numerous changes in its
structure and teaching programme. It changed its name a few times, too.
The School's present name (Szkoła Główna Handlowa, literally meaning
Main School of Commerce) emerged for the first time in 1933. The
outbreak of World War II did not stop the School's activity, which,
under conspiracy, continued with its pre-war programme.
After World War II, under the pressure of the new political system the
School Senate approved its nationalisation, trying, however, to
maintain the independent teaching programme. In 1949 Polish authorities
changed the name into Central School of Planning and Statistics and
announced it the first socialist university in Poland, with centrally
established programme and organisational principles.
It was not until the political change in 1989 that the School was in a
position to officially carry out new programme and organisational
reforms in order to comply with market economy requirements. The
milestone of this process was the return to the traditional name of the
School - Warsaw School of Economics (SGH) in 1991 and a reform of the
education system, so that all our students can now pursue individual
courses of study.
Currently there are about eleven thousand
students enrolled and every year about two thousand graduate from the
School. They find employment in banks, financial institutions,
consulting firms and multinational companies.
The Warsaw School of Economics offers several
study programs on bachelor and master levels in Polish and English, as
well as a choice of doctoral studies, over 130 postgraduate courses and
two MBA programs. As the only university in Poland the Warsaw School of
Economics is a member of CEMS Global Alliance in Management Education
which includes 29 business schools from around the world along with
their corporate partners.